Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2014

The Two Miler

We are lucky to live in the wonderful neighborhood of Centerport. To be exact, we live in a small beachfront  community known as "Huntington Beach Community Association", or HBCA for short.


Many of the streets here have steep hills, the homes on one side can be perched up high while the other side has homes set down low. Even walking at a sedate pace gives the legs an awesome workout.



When Andy and I first met two years ago we lived a few blocks apart from each other so most often we'd walk between our two homes. Andy had perfected a walk he called the "two miler" so that when he came home in the evening he could take his two large dogs for exercise. It wasn't long before I was joining in on the walks too. 

At first we start on our very flat street but no worries, there's always plenty to see like this divine planting just a few houses away. 


Not only am I a nature buff but I love gardening, I've written garden blogs for years. It amazes me how well the people in this area embrace the challenge of sloped properties. Our walk eventually takes us along the length of McKinley Terrace, a street truly cut into the hillside with water front homes on one side and water view homes perched up high on the other.


The beach itself is really a beach, just 3 blocks away from our cottage. Calie loves to visit there any chance she gets but it only happens in the winter as dogs are not permitted on the beach.


It's the one place around here she can run as fast as her legs will carry her…



There are spectacular views through the trees every where you look, taking a photo through the brush though can be a bit of a challenge.


This house is just outside the HBCA limit but only a few blocks away from here, what a beautiful location they have.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't take Calie on the two miler. If time allows, I'll drop her off home and continue on my own walkabout. It doesn't follow a specific path, I just let my feet take me where they will. 


It's just been recently that I've been taking my camera along on my walks, as you can see, there's always something beautiful to capture. 

When you walk through your neighborhood do you follow the same path each time or do you wander in a different direction each time?

melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment